Hop farms are on the rise and there’s no wonder over 40 microbreweries have popped up on Long Island in the last 4 years. Clearly Long Island is on trend with the craft beer craze. If you are a fan of local goodness, then good news! Some of the best breweries are found right here on the East End of Long Island.
We’ve got our top three best breweries on Long Island described right here for you, starting with Shelter Island’s very own NY State Certified Brewery!
- Shelter Island Craft Brewery – Originated in 2015 and located in the town center, you just can’t miss this corner brewery. Here you can belly up to the bar or grab a picnic table outdoors. Explore IPAs, Ales and Saisons with local ingredients such as beach plums, honey and herbs from the brew masters garden. The brewery also offers a perfect beer-pairing menu including classics like soft pretzels and chicken wings that wash down great with a cold brew.
- Greenport Harbor Brewing Co. – You may have already seen or tasted a variety of these delicious beers bottled or on tap around the island, NY state and Connecticut, but a trip to the tasting room is by far the tastiest way to enjoy this team of brew masters crafts. The brewery and tasting room is located in a very cool converted firehouse in the increasingly popular Greenport NY where waterfront, shops and great seafood all converge. Company Success has led to a second location opening on the Northfork of Long Island in 2016 with a tasting room and bottling plant. Enjoy weekly live entertainment and the option to hold private events. Year round seasonal beers are as true as the traditional ale, and be sure to treat yourself to the tasty food truck.
- Montauk Brewing Co. – Located in Montauk, the historic fishing town, coastal paradise, major tourist destination and current hot spot for trendsetters, is now complete with the 2012 addition of the Montauk Brewing Company. Founded by 3 former ex-lifeguards there is no denying that the Montauk Summer Ale is a perfect beach beer. The Rye based beer can be tasted and enjoyed in a cozy and artistic gallery taproom featuring local artist’s photos and paintings. While they are not open year round, the beer is available through grocers, retailers and local restaurants!
For added fun on any beer tour and the best way to stay safe, try a local brewery tour or transportation company!
- Brew Cycle in Riverhead NY caters to all groups big and small. Enjoy a day on a 14-person bike and visit 3 local hot spots where you can try some of the most innovative and delicious craft beers in the industry consisting of Long Ireland Brewery, Crooked Ladder Brewing Company, Moustache Brewing Company, and The Birchwood of Polish Town.
- Brewery Tours of Long Island located in Greenport NY has some the finest of limousine/party buses for safe transportation. Their package offered includes round trip transportation with 3 breweries of your choice, plus a gourmet lunch box can be delivered as an option as well.
Should you be more of a traditional bar seeker but still want to explore local brews, then we invite you to stay with us at our Shelter Island hotel. The Tavern is our onsite restaurant serving up a New American style menu, handcrafted cocktails, and a variety of wine and beer. At the Tavern bar you will always find a great selection of local, domestic and international beers to enjoy!